Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My One-Year Goals


How often do you look over your goals? Do you do it once a year when the New Year rolls around? Seasonally? Monthly? I have found that it is extremely easy to lose sight of your goals in the day to day hustle and bustle. I sometimes get to the end of a work day and have no idea if I accomplished anything of significance. Working in sales, I have found that my results don't always show up immediately. It can take days, weeks, months, even years for the rewards to show up. I believe that is a big reason people in my particular business get frustrated. In our microwave mentality if it doesn't happen NOW it never will!
The way I have come to terms with the waiting period, and suppressed my impatience, is by working with consistent goals. I easily get distracted and so I am committed to making a habit of looking over and imagining my goals completed every day! It is time that I could easily skip, but I have found that the visualization makes a huge difference in whether I accomplish it or not. For me personally I am making it a habit of writing out my "dream" commission check each morning of what I want to earn that month, saying my affirmations throughout the day of what I am going to accomplish, and reading my list of 25 things I could do, be or have regardless of time, talent or money. It takes 21 days to make a habit and so I will check back in in 20 days! The exercise below is what encouraged me to get RE-FOCUSED!

YOUR DREAM BUSINESS ONE YEAR FROM TDOAY

"Take a moment and fill in a description of your goals. Imagine it is one year from today, and that you are describing your dream business and your own position within it, including your financial state, from that vantage point.
Don't worry about making this perfect; just let it rip. Creating goals is always a work in progress. In fact, we strongly recommend returning to this exercise regularly ---not just once a year, but once a season, once a month, even once a week. As you grow, so will your goals.

Today is (one year from today) _____________________, and I need to take a moment out of my busy day to reflect on all the amazing things that have happened over the past year, and to note the amazing place at which I have arrived:

1. PURPOSE
My dream business or career is making a huge difference in the world around me, because through it:

2. NUMERIC TARGETS
I now have a net worth of $_________________
an annual gross income of $_________________
and I am giving $________________ to (church, charity or other recipient).

3. MEANING
As a result of this extraordinary financial abundance, I now have and feel:"


*Exceprt from The Answer by John Assaraf & Murray Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment